IRS Notifying Virtual Currency Owners of Back Taxes Owed

On Friday, July 26, the IRS announced that it has begun sending letters to taxpayers who may have failed to report income and pay the resulting tax from virtual currency transactions or who did not report their transactions properly. The IRS has been concerned that taxpayers selling, exchanging, or otherwise disposing of virtual currency have not been properly reporting those transactions, and it is expected that by the end of August, more than 10,000 taxpayers will receive these letters.

There are three variations of the educational letter, and all three versions are intended to help taxpayers understand their tax filing obligations and how to correct past errors.

  • Letter 6173 – Sent to taxpayers when, for one or more of tax years 2013 through 2017, IRS has not received either a federal income tax return or an applicable form or schedule reporting the taxpayer’s virtual currency transactions.
  • Letter 6174 – Sent to taxpayers when IRS has information that the taxpayers have or had one or more accounts containing virtual currency but may not know the requirements for reporting transactions involving virtual currency.
  • Letter 6174-A – Sent to taxpayers when IRS has information that the taxpayers have or had one or more accounts containing virtual currency but may not have properly reported the transactions involving virtual currency.



By definition, virtual currency is a type of digital currency that is only available in electronic form and functions as a medium of exchange, a unit of account, and/or a store of value. There are many types of virtual currencies, including cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum, and it does not have legal tender status in any jurisdiction.

For U.S. federal tax purposes, virtual currency is treated as property, and the general tax principles that apply to property transactions apply to transactions using virtual currency (Notice 2014-21, 2014-16 IRB). It is not, however, treated as currency that could generate foreign currency gain or loss for U.S. federal tax purposes.

According to the IRS, a taxpayer who receives virtual currency as a payment for goods or services must include the fair market value of that virtual currency – in U.S. dollars – as part of their reported income.



Taxpayers who receive a letter from the IRS will be directed to the appropriate information on, including which forms and schedules to use and where to send them.



Caroprese & Company is a certified public accounting firm that provides innovative and strategic services to a diverse client base of individuals, families, small and medium size businesses, government entities, non-profits and multi-national corporations. Our dynamic professionals perform at a high intensity and are laser focused on providing excellence to our global clientele.



This publication is provided by Caroprese & Company as a service to its clients and colleagues.  The information and content included in this publication should not be construed as technical advice.  Questions regarding any matters discussed in this publication should be directed to Brandon Caroprese whose contact information is listed below:

Brandon Caroprese, CPA, MST
Tel. (973)-475-8090

Share this article:

The Information contained in the Caroprese & Company (“Caroprese”) website is for general guidance on matters of interest only. The application and impact of laws can vary widely based on the specific facts involved. Given the changing nature of laws, rules and regulations, and the inherent hazards of electronic communication, there may be delays, omissions or inaccuracies in Information contained in the Caroprese website. Accordingly, the Information on the Caroprese website is provided with the understanding that the authors and publishers are not herein engaged in rendering legal, accounting, tax, or other professional advice and services. As such, it should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional accounting, tax, legal or other competent advisors. Before making any decision or taking any action, you should consult a Caroprese professional.